Welcome to this week’s blog! We have recently been looking at the situation at both Pakati schools, and in response to the recent report (link to previous 2 blogs) I looked at our Vision:
- To advance the education of the pupils at Pakati Primary and Secondary schools in Ward 14, Murewa District, Zimbabwe, by providing and assisting in the provision of facilities for education at the schools named. This can be in the areas such as IT and auxiliary equipment, internet access, and any such educational, sporting, and practical materials as the schools may need.
It is clear that we, as Friends of Pakati, should always consider what the schools themselves see as their priorities, and after discussing with our key supporters – the Heads of both schools, plus the 4 main contributors – Bothwell Riside, Lorraine Mapuranga, Debbie Chadbon & Stuart Pine, along with Councillor Israel Maliki – we are looking to use the funds we have raised to help the schools with what they need most at present. We are also consulting on the practicalities this will require dealing with. More details on this below.
We can see from the recent pics above from the Secondary school, and from reading previous reports/blogs, that the Solar power provision at both Pakati schools are not working. So, following the discussions we have had, we have decided that it would be better to fund the repair/replacement of the Solar power system at both schools. Here is why we have made that decision:
• The funds we currently have available are not likely to be enough to cover the cost of transporting at least 20 PC’s & their mouse/screen/cables – likely to cost around £3500 or more
• The schools cannot currently use the IT they have due to lack of power, both from ZESA and solar supply
• Getting the solar supply running again at both schools will help the teachers as well as the students
• Using our funds wisely, we can help both schools
Bradley Mell of Iron Bru & Friends of Pakati podcasts fame interviews ex-Iron player Neil Cox as the Author looks on
Cost of putting on event Friends-of-pakati’s event :
Venue hire & food £545.00
Sponsorship/donations before £450.00
Sales before £200.00
Ticket sales £163
Raffle sales £116.90
Sales of goods £110.00
Profit for Friends-of-pakati
Still got items to sell & donations promised
Daniel Walker & Evie Gallagher from the band E.v.i.e. who played at the event
More details & info about the event is on our facebook page http://Facebook.com/Friends-of-pakati
Next weekend, all being well, will be our 9th podcast, which features Vari Mayez of VaTonatsa Foundation, someone already well-known to Friends of Pakati followers.
One thought on “Friends of Pakati – Change of Focus…plus latest news!!”